The Aluminum Asylum

The Aluminum Asylum
Our home on wheels

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving Day 2006

Well, we had a good nights sleep, and were up and moving about 7. The tough part about loading the motorhome is that the majority of stuff we will use is stuff we use daily in the house and therefore have to wait until take-off day to load it up. It is very tiring. After putzing around for several hours, we finally hit the road about 11 am.

By this time I had a sore hip, sore butt from walking and I was walking into stuff. I have so little stamina, just vacuuming the kitchen floor had me winded. I stretched out on the new sofa/futon, which is by the way, quite comfortable, Pepi along side of me and slept until we were way past St. Louis. We hit a bit of traffic in the Springfield but it was clear sailing the rest of the way. Just as we passed Cuba MO, Paul was flagged down by a passing car, the passenger pointing to the toad. After pulling off, Paul discovered that the right front tire was shredded. Earlier, I had heard a thump, so there must have be something on the road that wasn’t visible. Paul called OnStar and they said someone would be there to change the tire within an hour. Of course, this meant we had to get the temp tire outta the back of the Vue, which meant unloading the entire back end, including my new scooter. After the mechanic helped get us back on the road, it turns out we had only been down for about an hour. I had called Auntie Averil so she knew we’d be a bit late. I think we rolled up about 5ish. We had a great time catching up, and then we had our turkey dinner, hauled all the way from Springfield. It was just as good warmed up as it was fresh. We all just sat around and talked until about 10 p.m. and then we headed to our rolling home to retire for the night.

As usual, I don’t sleep well the first night in the rig (it’s the change of bed or excitement or just plain stupid). I was up to the bathroom at least 8 times. Snickers decided to sleep in between Paul and me….by our heads, and she kept putting her paw on my cheek, hoping I’d pet her. Paul seems to be snoring a lot again…have to mention this to him. He isn’t breathing thru his nose, he is breathing thru his mouth and doing the sleep apnea stop breathing for 15 seconds tricks again. Grrrr.


Here is a wonderfully flattering picture of me and Auntie Averil....she's gonna kill me.....

No comments: