The Aluminum Asylum

The Aluminum Asylum
Our home on wheels

Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Night....

Just got home from a concert. Paulie, grandpa and I went to a late lunch/early dinner at Keno's. I swear I can't believe how much food they serve....catfish or meatloaf, green beans (ugh) corn on the cob, two scoops of mashed potatoes, salad, soup, and a roll that must weight about a pound. Good grief... Paul had a "taste" for catfish so I decided OK, we can go to Keno's and I will have the other Friday special...meatloaf. When we get there... meatloaf is all gone. Crap. I won't eat bottom feeder fish like catfish(they eat POOPIE yanno) so I got the breaded tenderloin with cream gravy. It was OK, but it wasn't meatloaf yanno? When we got home I called Mother and she is home from New York. She said the funeral was sad. SAD? The woman was in her eighties, died of a stroke (never regained consciousness so there was probably no suffering for her which is a blessing) had buku bucks, had homes in Florida or some warm climate and a home in Long Island...I doubt she ever worked a day in her life and it was SAD? SAD is a kid getting hit by a car, a family guy who gets blown up in Iraq, not some old rich bitch who had a wonderful life. Jeesh...

I don't know what came over me and made me write that. I just find it hard to feel sorry for people who have had good lives, never wanted, etc etc who die at an advanced age, quietly go to sleep and everybody cries....

Paul and I went to the movies to see Wild Hogs or Road Hogs or some such movie with John Travolta. It was positively hysterical. I almost wet my pants. It really is funny so put it on your must see list.

After the movie, we were just in time for the Friday night entertainment here at the park. It was a group of barbershop singers. You would think I could have come up with SOME kind of excuse to miss this stellar performance, but since we were in the car, Paul pulled right up to the big hall. No getting away this time. Crap. I tell ya...there were about 30 geezers all nattily dressed in black slacks, red vests with white shirts impeccably wrinkle free and bow ties. Some of them were using walkers or canes, several were in motorized scooters or wheelchairs. I just about peed my pants. Then they started to sing. Well, whats the old saying...."shut my mouth?"....that's me. I was quite entertained. They were not the best chorus I have ever heard but they certainly were the oldest. They sang all the old barbershop favorites, like Sweet Adeline...I guess while I watched and looked at all these old farts up there singing their hearts out and felt kinda glad I was there. Some of these guys had ill fitting rugs...but their smiles lit up their faces. I kept thinking that some of these guys were WWII vets, Korean Vets, retired doctors or lawyers, grandfathers and great grandfathers, and now they were entertainers. Maybe the audience was as old as them, but they sure gave a performance. Gestures, smiles, frowns, pre-practiced jokes...it was a cute in a geezer kinda way show and it was clear from their body language and genuine smiles that they loved doing it. Bless their hearts.

I am not sure what the weekend holds. I would like to go to the flea market and browse around. The weather looks perfect for the next week. I am gonna try and get to the pool...I am still pasty white but I don't want to get burned. I had quite a compliment this week...at the makeup counter the saleswoman remarked that I had really nice skin. Me. Nice skin. Man, these people will say anything to make a commission, LOL!

later....


dee

No comments: